Thursday, December 29, 2011

Gotta Stop

I always had a never-say-die attitude when it comes to two things: workaholism and worrying. People close to me would know that I rarely give myself a break when it comes to these two things. Workaholism probably stems from my being driven and from the belief that time is never enough and so many opportunities out there are to be taken advantage of; and worrying from my attitude of always taking calculated risks for whatever it takes.

And as young as 22, my body is telling me to stop stressing over things. I would like to shift to having a healthier lifestyle. I want to have a sound mind-- to breathe more and hold my breaths less.

But then such a shift in thinking and lifestyle has to have some operational definition (like what we do in Psych) in order to actually happen.

At the moment however, here are just some of the thoughts I have:

1. Life should be at least: 50% serious and 50% pure fun.

We have responsibilities which of course, need to be taken cared of (such as work, duties, etc), but from what I noticed those take up 90% of my time and effort. I rarely do things just for fun. Therefore, I think I should increase the frequency of fun, relaxing, nonobligatory duties if I wanna live a long, healthy, swell life.

2. Dismiss worry thoughts.

It's a struggle to actually do this, I find it difficult to not build on my worries. However, if I could not do anything at the moment about my worries, I should let go and let God take care of them.

3. Live for the present.

Worrying and being driven are both cognitive mechanisms targeted to the future. I keep thinking, I want my future to be this and that, but I do not enjoy the present, which was the future I was thinking of yesterday. So what's the point right? It's counter intuitive to not enjoy the present moment. (Makes sense, huh?)

So those are very random and unstructured thoughts I have for being stressed out and consumed all the time.

Gotta stop it!

No comments:

Post a Comment